Wednesday 18 March 2009

Evangelism

I have something of an interesting relationship with evangelism. The term "evangelism" comes from the Greek ""εὐαγγέλιον", (eu-angelion) meaning "good news", and in turn suggests the spreading of some event that is positive, uplifting, life-bringing. Alas, if you ask someone on the street what evangelism means, I imagine the majority of people might have something of a negative or distrustful view of it - hellfire and damnation being preached from soapboxes, or such stereotypical views. Often we Christians turn what is meant to be good news into bad news, or judgemental news, or frightening news. But nothing, in my mind, is further from the truth of the 'gospel' (good news). 

Mark's Gospel begins "The beginning of the good news of Jesus Christ, the Son of God"  - this good news is that God has come to Earth, in human form, to clear up the mess we've made of the place, and offer himself in our place for getting the job done.  If we admit we've messed up and that we need God's help, he can forgive us, enter our lives and begin to shape us into the people he meant us to be. This strikes me as awesome news!

But how to tell people? The news, of course, is double-edged - there's the problem with not accepting the good news, which has negative repercussions eternally, something every Christian struggles with at some time or another. God's love, however, I believe should override ALL other reasons for telling people the good news - for, as Paul puts it, we are only a "clanging cymbal" or "noisy gong" if we go out and evangelism without love for others being our prime motivation.

Like with love between friends or partners, it must always be accompanied by actions that show the words are true and signify something. Take an example I have been involved in this year; AfterHours, where on friday evenings I help give out free hot drinks in the Appleby Rooms (turned into a chillout cafe) or outside the DSU (where Planet of Sound happens). I get to chat to lots of interesting people and give them a free coffee (a rarity in Durham); if they ask why I'm doing it, I can tell them that God's love for me is a motivator, and that I'm following through on the love that I profess for my neighbour, not just in words but in actions.

This is the sort of evangelism I find both most effective and most enjoyable. I can tell people about Jesus and the life-changing stuff that he brings, as well as just bless people like God wants me to. It's not about me earning God's favour through doing "good things", or trying to look "holy" before people - I genuinely do care about Durham's students, and even if I don't get to tell them about God, that's fine because I can love them by giving them a hot drink on a cold night.

"The only thing that counts is faith, expressing itself through love". (Galatians 5:4)

No comments:

Post a Comment